This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:
© 2018 TerraCorps
Theme by Anders Noren — Up ↑
Buzzards Bay Coalition
114 Front Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
The Buzzards Bay Coalition (BBC) is a membership-supported nonprofit organization dedicated to the restoration, protection, and sustainable use and enjoyment of our irreplaceable Bay and its watershed. The Coalition works to improve the health of the Bay ecosystem for all through education, conservation, research, and advocacy. The Watershed Protection Department within BBC advances land conservation, land stewardship and habitat restoration activities throughout the watershed of Buzzards Bay. BBC holds a total of 38 conservation easements (2,000 acres) and owns and operates a series of 5 publicly accessible river and bay reserves totaling about 400 acres.
Land Stewardship Coordinators (LSC) Build the long-term capacity of their host sites by creating networks of volunteers to support hands-on stewardship of community lands. They organize, train, and collaborate with municipal boards, neighborhood and civic associations, community members, youth groups, and schools to care for, improve access to, and support the long-term resiliency and sustainable use of community lands.
LSCs may assist their host site by: surveying and monitoring conservation land, building and maintaining recreational trails, monitoring and maintaining urban farmland, restoring wildlife habitat, mitigating erosion, and improving public access to open spaces. By providing training and organizing collaborative land-focused projects, they increase resources for community projects, demonstrate environmentally responsible land management, help individuals build skills, and nurture an inclusive sense of public ownership in the local landscape. LSCs spend roughly 40% of their time in the office and 60% in the field.
TerraCorps members engage with their supervisors to develop and carry out three or more capacity building projects over the course of the service year. Some of these projects will involve recruiting, training, and/or managing community volunteers. Buzzards Bay Coalition has proposed the following potential project for their Land Stewardship Coordinator:
1) Complete baseline documentation reports for conservation land properties.
2) Enhance access to conservation land properties by coordinating development of public access trails.
3) Develop and implement property specific public engagement plans for interpreting the natural and cultural history at one of our sites through multiple communication pathways including site natural history hikes, development of interpretive kiosks, development of short videos, development of content for property specific web pages, and short pieces for local newspaper and radio.
4) Recruit and train volunteers to conduct stewardship and citizen science projects such as trail maintenance, invasive plant inventories, and salt marsh/river habitat restoration activities.
5) Provide community outreach on topics such as water resource protection, wildlife habitat management, invasive species management, and other stewardship topics.
Development of these and other projects will occur during the first two months of service and consider the member’s interests and skills.
For questions about BBC’s Land Stewardship Coordinator position, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.